Thursday 23 June 2016

Thoughts on "Making It"

Yesterday I watched a video Carrie Hope Fletcher made about her thoughts on "making it" in life in general (HERE!). It sparked a lot of my own thoughts- my first ones matching up to hers. Like she says, I believe thinking you have hit all possible goals you've wanted to hit is a very dangerous way of thinking. It encourages complacency. It limits you and creates a "well it doesn't get better than this" attitude, which could make you happy or sad. I don't think it is always for the wrong reasons but my main aim in life is to develop and to always aim to be a better version of myself. Until my very last day on earth.

I thought I'd address the thought of "making it" by first thinking of my hobbies. I actually don't think I have ever thought I have "made it" in terms of running or writing (my favourite two hobbies), but I have considered the concept when thinking about these hobbies. For example, I want to run a marathon one day but I can't imagine ever participating in an event that involves more than 26 miles. I will run a marathon one day and I wonder how I'll keep my goals going after that day happens. Having this knowledge before I actually complete this goal does mean I should keep bettering myself- especially as there are a million ways to after running a marathon.

And then there's writing. More specifically writing with regards to my blog. The Girl in the Moonlight is an anonymous site and I do worry I'll eventually wonder how much further I can go with it. Once again, because I am thinking this now, it should mean I can always keep going. This worry, though, is a sadder version of "making it"- more like I could exhaust the hobby. I fear, because I won't be able to show anyone this blog, I'll think, well, what else can I do now? But that is a sadder version of "making it" that I don't wish to entertain.

I think the answer must be that we must always - at the highs and the lows - be thinking of how to keep bettering ourselves/ourselves with regards to something else (like a hobby).

Imagine my dream comes true and I actually publish a book. It's my absolute dream and one I really want to pursue in any way I possibly can. I don't ever want to think, "Well, I have done that now... what's next?" I want to think, "Let's start planning what IS next!" I don't want to stop at one book (even if I independently carry this out and there is next to no attention that comes with it), and I don't want publishing one meaning my creativity is stunted.

As humans, when we believe we have made it, we believe we have quitted- even if we technically haven't. Even if we have millions and millions of pounds from our company that is still booming, we might become obsessed with the money it brings us and think "I've got money... what else do I need?" We might not even be involved in the thing that is giving us such "happiness." We might think money is our companion- not love; not friendship; not hobbies outside of this thing we strive towards called money. That's not making it; that's the worst form of content.

I personally don't want to limit myself in any way- even if I only write a book that isn't even published. That's not just that. I can still blog; try to get articles published... the list is endless. Everything is endless. So how can anything be considered "making it"? Not one of us can do everything that we are capable of and want to do. Out of the endless possibilities for my life, I want to make as big of an impact in them as possible.

Goals & More Goals,

The Girl in the Moonlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...