Saturday 9 April 2016

Refusing to Regret

Today I have been thinking about the simple thought that when it comes to things that are hard or come with a lack of motivation, we'll never regret doing that thing. For example, revising or going to the gym or having a word with someone when they've upset you. Anything like that! We can only regret not doing these things and, in turn, wondering what the benefits could have been. I don't like this feeling at all.

The days when I feel a bit "meh" about going on a run will always be the day that make me feel accomplished when I return. I could have run a mile or eight and I'll think, "Hey, I did it!" And I feel proud rather than full of regret. There are, of course, times when we're gutted we didn't do something but we have a valid reason as to why we couldn't. Illness. Other plans. Prioritising work and education. However when I can fit something in, I so strive to have the motivation to get up and go.

Last year at university, I didn't have the best time. This year I am loving it way, way more. I am much better at choosing to work harder. I say yes to no regrets and I head down to the library. I say yes to my friends far more and I jump, jump and jump. I'm a big believer in jumping and have been for a few years. Jumping - even if you fall - is normally so worth it because we can't regret.

Some of the most poignant moments in my life are poignant because of my active choice to make a moment/a day/my life happy. I am so lucky to be healthy and this factor always fuels me to run/to revise/to make a change. Some of the times I'm disappointed with myself rely on regret. The regret I've felt for not doing something/saying something. It's partially a carpe diem attitude I aspire to have, and partially a "head screwed on" aspect because it's when I think properly when I know I need to do something and secure the fact that I won't regret.

Life is precious for all of us and I refuse to regret. As long as I'm not hurting anyone or myself, I will - more often than not - choose the path to regret.

No Regrets & Disappointment,

The Girl in the Moonlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...