Friday 18 September 2015

Carrie Says | All My Friends are Superheroes by Andrew Kaufman

One of my 2014 New Year's Resolutions was this series: Carrie Says. It is an aim that I chose to carry on for, well, for a long time yet. The aim is to read all of the books Carrie Hope Fletcher has recommended. I have been particularly excited about this book- All My Friends are Superheroes by Andrew Kaufman. HERE is the video where Carrie talks about the book.

Carrie says that is is "now [her] all-time favourite book."






















I'm going to be recommending this book to everyone and everyone that group of everyone knows. This 100 page delight is the reason for my happy little knowing smile on my face- as, because of this novel, I feel entirely jolly and grateful for the little nugget of cuteness and heartbreak and heart-warming power it bestows upon its reader. I feel like Tom and Perf teach us about love and how to overcome heartbreak- how to try and try, and keep trying.

All My Friends are Superheroes is about Tom and how, in his life, there are "regular" people and superheroes- there is no surprise that all of his friends are superheroes. Tom, however, is not. On the night of he and his wife's wedding, his wife's ex boyfriend (and superhero) hypnotises The Perfectionist (Tom's wife) to not see Tom- he is now invisible to Perf.

This story is a tale of The Perfectionist's heartbreak and her decision to move on after six months of believing Tom has left her. Tom has just the flight to Vancouver to convince Perf that it is him- he is there. I promise you this story is a gorgeously heart-warming as it seems. We find out about other superheroes and their powers and we giggle and its awesome silliness and we become invested in this world; this way of being. We try to understand how these powers relate to real life and it made me enjoy learning about why certain characters had certain powers. We become invested in the outcome; wanting only the best for Tom and Perf.

I don't want to say too much about this novel as it's so short, so I'll tell you this: Here is another book added to my favourite books pile!

A Regular & A Superhero,

The Girl in the Moonlight.

P.S. All My Friends are Superheroes was the third and final book in my "read before university" challenge. You can read about that HERE.

P.P.S. Another embarrassed reminder that as soon as I work out why my pictures are so terribly terrible, I do aim to fix it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...