Friday 6 February 2015

Where She Went - Gayle Forman

After closing If I Stay by Gayle Forman (you can read my review HERE), I was so very excited to read the sequel, Where She Went. And here we are. With a happily tear-stained face, I grin excitedly about this little treasure of a novel. Gayle Forman has done it again: made me sad and cry while all the while being thankful for it!



















*Potential traces of spoiler.*

Where She Went follows the "decision" made in If I Stay, although we do not enter the novel with the knowledge of what exactly has happened. Where, in the first novel, Mia is the protagonist, in Where She Went, it is Adam's life we more closely follow. His narrative is heartbreaking and only makes us want him to find the peace he is - whether he knows it or not - searching for. All the same, his narrative makes us route for Mia too- because, despite everything, he never makes us feel rage towards Mia.

Adam is part of a popular band, Shooting Star, After having his heart broken, the band become bigger than ever with Adam's songs written by Mia's actions. The novel is set predominantly in New York City and this setting is gorgeously fitting for the adventure that Adam and Mia partake in. Like a twist of fate, they are back in each other's lives for a night, with assumptions and questions lingering in the night air around them.

Although we didn't know as much about Adam as we did Mia from the first novel, we learn a lot about the Adam before the heartbreaking event in If I Stay and the Adam afterwards in Where She Went. Despite his sadness, loneliness and struggles with everyday life in Where She Went, I feel like Adam hadn't changed a lot. His thoughts and reflections on the past made him the Adam that Mia loved.

It could have been easy to feel a little anger towards Mia as the reader, but I didn't. I didn't feel anger towards either character even though Adam feels guilty for feeling annoyed at Mia considering the events of the first novel. When Adam watches Mia play the cello on the most important night for her career in her life, it was clear to me that Mia was still Mia. Passionate and in love with music, Mia was still the Mia I routed for in If I Stay. Heartbreaking as it is to see the change in Mia's life since If I Stay, her strength and determination and view on life portrays Mia's awesomeness.

I adored the lyrics of the songs Adam wrote because of Mia being at the beginning of the chapters. This, although quirky, made everything a little more heartbreaking. It really made me engage with their story. In my eyes, the lyrics told the story of Adam's sadness and story since the first novel.

Where She Went was a good friend to me for a few days and I really, really adore it. I, as well as Adam, had questions and I needed this installment to the AdamandMia story. Sweet. Honest. Refreshing. I love Where She Went and the story, as a whole.

I cannot wait to read more of Gayle Forman's works.

New York City & Adventures,

The Girl in the Moonlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...