Saturday 8 March 2014

I AM A FEMINIST!

I read Caitlin Moran's How To Be a Woman and that wonderfully honest and hilarious book, as well as the fact that it is International Women's Day has inspired me to post on a Saturday - OH, HEY THERE: THIS IS SERIOUS.

The word "feminism" has become attached to something sticky and unpleasant that few people want to touch; this is proven right now, because writing this post is making me a bit nervous as I'm scared people will turn their noses up at the sight of "feminist". But, ladies and gentleman, as Caitlin Moran has encouraged me to shout, I will shout to you this:

I AM A FEMINIST!

If you are a woman, it has been made clear to me, that you simply are too. And it's true. Do you wish to be in control of yourself and for the crushing society that oppressed women for so long to be completely banished? Do you wish to be equal? Do you want to have the same opportunities as men? YOU ARE A FEMINIST TOO! (Side note: big cheers and cake to the boys and men of this world who would say yes to these. *Whispers*: You're a feminist too!)

Feminism is about things that you may not have thought straight away as synonymous with it, Caitlin Moran has taught me: I suggest you read the book.

It's International Women's Day and, right now, for me, being of the womanly species is all right. I don't feel inferior to the manly species or oppressed or anything negative like that, but I may do in the future and you may do right now. This wonderful day celebrates gains in the womanly society and challenges a lot that I know for sure still needs to be changed.

Some of you may be like me: You wake up, eat a bunch of Jaffa Cakes and wear what you want. Life doesn't seem unfair... I'll give you a few facts:

According to THIS article, in America, women make up less than 25% of science, technology, engineering and maths positions

THIS article illustrates that, in Britain, 1 in 4 women will experience domestic violence in their lifetime

After the 2010 general election women made up only 22% of the House in the UK

Do you believe this is right? Join the bright side: You're ready now.

You can find out more about International Women's Day HERE.

So... Are you a feminist?

Have a fabulous day ladies (and of course, men - I wouldn't like to segregate you from our celebrations!)!

Chairs & Statements,

The Girl in the Moonlight.

P.S. This last week I took part in a challenge I set myself (feel free to read about that HERE) and the exciting thing about that was that I blogged for seven days, when, in reality I've blogged for nine - I AM A STRONG, CAPABLE WOMAN! All of this chatter has made me light-headed (oh yes, what a stereotypical woman). Happy International Women's Day!

5 comments:

  1. I'm a feminist too and I think that everyone should be a feminist. It's quite disturbing to see that women are still being oppressed even today, especially in the media where women have always been told to look a particular way, images in magazines and movies tell girls that they're there to please men aka the rape culture where people tell women who have been assaulted that they should be "happy" that men want to have sex with them, and posts like "10 things guys hate that women wear" just annoys me so much. I personally didn't really get the point of Caitlin Morans book when I read it bc I was only 13 and quite oblivious, but I am definitely intending to read it again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Unlimited hi-5s to you.* It definitely is disturbing and it's frustrating that genuine oppression, whether it's discreet or shouting loudly in your face, still exists!

      Delete
  2. This made me chuckle, Im sitting in a starbucks laughing at myself. I love this!
    Make sure to check out my blog!

    MAJOTRON.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this article. I too read How to be a Woman, and as hilarious as it was, it got me angry that so many people are still so quick to not call themselves a feminist. A perfect example of this was my friend claiming she wasn't. I simply asked her that does she feel that she has the right to do any job she wants to. And on her saying yes I told her that she was in fact a feminist!

    I don't fully understand how you can be a woman and not be a feminist. I'm just so glad I'm dating a man who feels the same as I do. But the battle is certainly not won, not by a long shot. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much! Yes, for sure! That is wonderful news but you are right: The battle must continue. I hope we win!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...