Monday 3 March 2014

An Old Book | Gingersnaps by Cathy Cassidy

*Adjusts collar and posture to look business-like.* I am starting a new series. *Imagines there are people with me in my bedroom and nods enigmatically.* There you have it: the birth of yet another series I made up inspiredly (it's not a real word, "inspiredly", but it really should be).

I am starting a little series that I've been excited about for a while and I hope to carry on with it on my blog. I thought the week of my wee challenge (that you can read about HERE) would be a fab place to start it. In this series I will review books I read a few years ago! The books will be a variety of different types and today I am starting with (the wonderful children's author) Cathy Cassidy's Gingersnaps that I read about five years ago!


























I read this when I was thirteen and in need of this kind of book. It challenges friendships and the reasons behind them, promotes not conforming to how you "should" act and shows how awesome an unexpected friendship can be.

Ginger once was lonely. She felt like an outsider until she changed it all. She began to wear make-up and straighten her hair and now, in year eight, she's about to find out about what really matters. Her best friend Shannon is confident and adored by all the boys she comes across; "she owned the place". As Shannon vows how fantastic the year ahead of them will be, they pass a boy in jeans and Converse trainers. Only this boy doesn't fall at Shannon's feet, but smiles at the sight of Ginger. Sam Taylor is about to change Ginger's view of life and it's going to be awesome.

One of the reasons I remember loving Ginger was how she was, from the start, honest with herself with the fact she didn't like the person she'd become. She is charming and sweet and I loved watching her portray her real self. Her story throughout this book is about her struggle between her pleasing her best friend, her feeling pushed to the outside of their friendship with Emily now part of their group and her pushing Sam away despite how much she enjoys his company.

Sam Taylor had hold of my heart when I read this. He is different with his school trousers being jeans with scribbles on them, plays the saxophone and teases Ginger in a way that made me grin. He also makes it clear when Ginger isn't the person he thinks she is and it helps her realise how awesome she can and will be. Sam represents nonconformity and he's seriously cool.

There is always such heart to Cathy Cassidy's books and a lot of meaning that leads to a moral; I adored (I still do!) this about her books. I also love the illustrations and front covers of all of her books. They're gorgeous!

Are there any books you read ages ago that have happily stayed with you?

Blue Lips & Harmonicas,

The Girl in the Moonlight.

P.S. I've officially written and published 200 posts!

My little blogging challenge:
Day 1
Day 2

2 comments:

  1. Aww I used to love Cathy Cassidy books!! They're not really my type of books anymore but I'm pretty sure I've read all of her books when I was 12-13ish

    Yet Another Makeup Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to give this one a read! I had never heard of it before :) Thanks for sharing!

    http://crowleyparty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...