Monday 2 December 2013

The Love of a Father

Today I went into town to "run a few errands" and was feeling particularly down. Everything I was getting myself worked up about, though, were materialistic things. I was panicking about the lack of money I have to spend on things that I do genuinely need, as well as opportunities I am missing out on because I can't waste a pound on something that I don't need. I got so frustrated before going out. Although I'm not angry at myself doing so, it definitely highlighted how content I should be (and am) when looking at others.

Worrying about things related to money shouldn't be overlooked as ignorant; ignorant to those who are truly suffering, ignorant to real troubles and real sadness. I don't need to be told that I have way more than those struggling to feed their babies while they go without necessities. I know that. I am not for one second taking for granted that I am all right; I will always be all right. Yet, I was feeling sorry for myself. Maybe, slightly unnecessarily.

I was grateful to be put in my place by a beautiful sight.

While my mind frantically went over everything I need and everything I can't afford, my eyes were drawn to a lovely family. A man with a disability was holding a young boy's hand while the toddler excitedly chatted away, saying "daddy" with pride. His dad was looking back at him with the biggest grin on his face. He wasn't ever going to take his son's company for granted. Not ever.

Re-telling this story reminds me of the guilt I felt for stressing about things that are so unnecessary when compared with the love of a parent and the love of a son. I don't want to belittle my previous feelings because I do believe everyone can "feel sorry" for themselves every now and then, but when watching a scene as beautiful as a man with enough reason to have a permanent frown easily smile, it's easy to grin too, appreciating that life is precious; life's all right.

Following this, I felt the need (and I was happy to do so) to put some money into a charity box - even a little, if you can, helps! It inspired me to steer away from being self-centred for even an hour.

To finish this post, I want to put a few links here to charities that would benefit, if you're able to give, from donations:

Eyes Alight
Rowan's Hospice
Rainbow Trust
Post Pals

I can't complain; life's good.

As a side note, in case you're reading my blog and confused as to why there are more posts than usual, I am doing Blogmas which you can read about HERE.

Smiles & Love,

The Girl in the Moonlight.

2 comments:

  1. That was very nice of you! Although life can be hard, it never fails to still surprise us with beautiful things such as what you mentioned above! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moments like this really are eye-opening, I agree! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...